Canal Structure Operator
Hourly Salary: $17.26
Assist Chief Lock Operators in operating and maintaining Canal structures. Interact with recreational and commercial boaters. Responsible for recording specific operational data plus directing all boaters appropriately for safe passage through locks.
- Six months experience in the operation and assembly or operation and maintenance of mechanical, electrical, automotive, hydraulic or diesel machinery OR
- Six months of experience working on a canal(s), of which 50 percent of your duties must have included working at a canal lock and/or lift bridge OR
- Certificate of completion from a BOCES or a post-high school program in electrical maintenance; electrical construction; or mechanical, hydraulic, automotive, or diesel repair or technology OR
- Six college semester credit hours in electrical construction; electrical maintenance; or in hydraulic, mechanical, automotive, or diesel repair or technology OR
- Possession of an electrician’s license and current registration issued by a New York State municipality. Must provide information on your license and registration on application
Canal Jobs offer:
- On-the-Job Training
- Entry Level Skills for Maritime, Engineering, Machine Shop & Other Careers
- Time Toward a NYS Pension
- Great for Retirees Looking to Stay Active
The New York State Canal Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.
New York State Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, marital status, gender identity, prior arrests, prior conviction records, predisposing genetic characteristics or domestic violence victim status.
The New York State Canal Corporation provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please email Accessibility@nypa.gov.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from the candidate before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. i>