Camping along the Canalway Trail
The New York State Canal Corporation offers 17 Cycler-Hiker-Boater Campsites along the Canalway Trail and waterways. These campsites are designed to make touring along the Canal System easier for trail users, boaters and paddlers during the navigation season (May-October). Canal Corporation offers camping designated as “primitive,” with limited on-site amenities. Porta johns are provided at the designated campsites but visitors should be prepared with their own potable water, first aid kits, and camping and cooking supplies.
The sites include an area for 4 tents. Stays are limited to 48 hours and are available on a first come first serve basis. Please provide advanced notice by contacting the sites at the phone numbers below prior to arrival.
Upon arrival, see Lock Operator, then take a 1-minute online survey.
If Lock Operator unavailable, see posted QR Code to access survey.
- Camping is first come first serve; lock operators should be contacted in advance so you can receive information on the campsite’s status as open. Weather or safety conditions can close campsites unexpectedly.
- Campsites are limited to 4 tents and 10 people
- Campers must be at least 18 years old, unless accompanied and supervised by an adult
- Stays are limited to 48 hours
- No bonfires are allowed
- Campsite sites are carry-in, carry-out for garbage unless a waste receptacle is present
- Quiet hours must be observed between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m.
- No motorized vehicles are allowed in the campsites
- For camping space for groups larger than 10 people/4 tents, you must reach out to the Canal Real Property Management Department to obtain a permit: (518) 449-6000
Primitive Campsites: Campsites which provide no amenities with the exception of a porta john. Campsites require carry-in and carry-out and campers to bring their own water or water purification.
Section 1 Fort Edward- 518-747-4613
947 Stillwater Bridge Rd, Schaghticoke, NY 12154 (C1, C4, C5 AND C-9)
Call: (518) 664-5261
C9 Smith's Basin
2450 State Route 149, Fort Ann, NY 12827
Call: (518) 747-6021
Section 2 Waterford- 518-233-8575
77 Flight Lock Rd, Waterford, NY 12188
Call: (518) 237-4014
Section 3 Fonda - 518-853-3823
E15 Fort Plain
84 Otsquago Club Rd, Fort Plain, NY 13339
Call: (518) 993-4161
E16 St. Johnsville
171 Mindenville Dr, Fort Plain, NY 13339
Call: (518) 568-2636
Section 4 Utica- 315-329-1878
Lock 20 Marcy/Utica Park
20 Harbor Lock Rd W, Utica, NY 13502
9028 River Rd, Marcy, NY 13403
Call: (315) 736-4617
E21 New London
7176 Lock Rd, Rome, NY 13440
Call: (315) 336-8229
E22 New London
3692 Wood Creek Rd, Rome, NY 13440
Call: (315) 336-4329
Section 5 Lysander - 315-695-2210
6908 Black Creek Rd, Brewerton, NY 13029
Call: (315) 676-4171
Section 6 Lyons - 315-695-2210
E25 May's Point
546 South Mays Point Rd, Savannah, NY 13146
Call: (315) 365-3241
6869 River Rd, Cayuga, NY 13034
Call: (315) 253-7523
CS2-3 Seneca Falls
9 Seneca St, Seneca Falls, NY 13148
Call: (315) 568-5797
Section 7 Pittsford - 315-871-4300
2785 Clover St, Pittsford, NY 14534
Call: (585) 586-1837
1205 Edgewood Ave, Rochester, NY 14618
Call: (585) 244-2150
Other Publicly Operated Camping Facilities Near the Canalway Trail
- Waterford Canal Visitor Center – Waterford, NY - 518-233-9123
- Verona Beach State Park , Verona Beach - 1-800-456-CAMP or 315-762-4463
Located on the eastern shore of Oneida Lake, is a picnicker's and camper's delight. Winter season hosts snowmobiling, XC skiing and ice fishing. Located on Oneida Lake (Erie Canal).
- Cayuga Lake State Park , Seneca Falls - 1-800-456-CAMP or 315-568-5163
Camping, cabins, boat launch, trails, swimming and picnicking. Winter activities: XC skiing, ice fishing and sledding.
- Green Lakes State Park , Fayetteville - 315-637-6111
Located adjacent to the Canalway Trail. Amenities include campsites, swimming, boat rentals, food, picnic tables and showers.
- View complete listings of campgrounds operated by the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation .
- Visit I LOVE NEW YORK for information on private campgrounds near the Canalway Trail.
The Waterford site is located along the waterfront at the eastern gateway to the New York State Canal waterways and the Canalway Trail. The site features potable water, toilets and showers. Restaurants, shops and other businesses can be found in the Village of Waterford. The property is managed by the Town of Waterford.