VISITOR SERVICES ASSISTANT 2 #99116 – SG-12
Appointment Type: Temporary/Non-Competitive
Negotiating Unit: CSEA
Hourly Rate: $18.22 – 26.11
Minimum Qualifications: Candidates must have three years of experience* in the visitor/customer service environment in a cultural institution.
*Substitution: College study may be substituted for up to two years of the general experience on the basis of 30 semester credit hours being equal to one year.
The Visitor Services Assistant 2 (VSA 2) will provide specialized programming for students and other groups on all aspects of the NYS Canal System including its history, economic contributions, ongoing relevance, environmental stewardship, and other relevant information. The VSA 2 also staffs informational booths on behalf of the Canal Corporation at trade shows, festivals, and other venues and events as required, and provides demonstrations of a working “model lock” in classroom or other contextual environments.
The duties of the Visitor Services Assistant 2 will include, but not be limited to, the following:
Provides classroom instruction to schools on the following topics:
- History of the NYS Canal System.
- Life aboard a Canal boat.
- Environmental stewardship as it relates to New York’s waterways.
- Working of a Canal System lock, with or without a working model lock.
Presents interpretation of historic canal vessels
- Provides information on historic canal vessels as guest “crew” or interpretive staff, at public events and answer questions about life aboard a canal boat.
- Provides tours of historic canal vessels at public events.
- Provides rope fender-making demonstrations at public events.
Attends trade shows, festivals, and other venues and events
- Promotes the NYS Canal System through presentation of exhibits and materials.
- Answers questions from members of the public about the Canal System, its physical characteristics, attractions, amenities, and events.
- Encourages visitation to the NYS Canal System by extolling the benefits, beauty, and history of communities across the canal corridor.
Provides assistance and support at public events, media events, and festivals
- Assists with transportation and/or set-up of materials, displays, banners, staging, and other promotional items.
- Answers questions and interacts with the general public.
- Performs research as it relates to the Canal Educational Program as needed.
- Provides logistical support as directed.
Supervision and Customer Service
- Supervises Section staff available on-site, including a student intern last season in support of Canal Educational Program presentations to ensure that scheduling and set up is managed appropriately.
- Resolves on-site issues for visitors, educators and staff.
- Works closely with Canal Educational Program management to plan, coordinate schedule and manage presentations, tours and events.
Interested candidates who meet the minimum qualifications should send a cover letter and resume by the application deadline of April 27, 2018 to email@example.com. Please include the position title, Visitor Services Assistant 2 in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.
This application must be printed and mailed. Data will not transfer if this form is attached to an e-mail.