Appointment Type: Competitive
Negotiation Unit: Management/Confidential
Salary: $43,552 - $61,158 annually
Location: 30 South Pearl Street, Albany (parking will be provided)
Candidates must be reachable for appointment on the Civil Service eligible list for Secretary 2 OR have one year of permanent competitive service in a title eligible for transfer via Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
The NYS Canal Corporation is seeking candidates for a Secretary 2 position at their Albany Headquarters. Providing direct administrative support to the Director and other members of Canal Executive Management, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Oversee and administer GIS training for all Canal Headquarters and Division staff;
- Coordinate purchase and use of all Corporation GPS and depth sounding equipment;
- Work with Canal Operations, Maintenance and Engineering to develop a comprehensive GIS needs assessment;
- Monitor communications, including screening emails, reviewing documents, and tracking the status of office activities;
- Ensure briefing materials are prepared in a timely manner for all meetings;
- Liaise with NYS agencies and comparable departments in other states;
- Review incoming correspondence and draft responses where appropriate;
- Review outgoing correspondence for grammar, spelling, formatting, etc.;
- Take the lead with other department staff as necessary on assignments and conduct follow-up;
- Handle telephone calls, visitors and respond to questions;
- Coordinate and arrange meetings;
- Make travel arrangements;
- Design office filing systems (including electronic);
- Resolve day-to-day operational problems;
- Prepare and reconcile administrative documents including travel and timesheets;
- Coordinate information flow by acting as liaison among key executives, staff, other employees, and the public.
Position requires strict confidentiality and the ability to use sound judgment, demonstrating sensitivity and discretion. Additional duties will be discussed in detail during the interview.
Interested candidates who meet the minimum qualifications should send a cover letter and resume by the application deadline of 2/22/18 to email@example.com. Please include the position title, Secretary 2, in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.
The New York State Canal Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.
New York State Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, marital status, gender identity, prior arrests, prior conviction records, predisposing genetic characteristics or domestic violence victim status.
The New York State Canal Corporation provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please email Accessibility@nypa.gov.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from the candidate before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org