Director of Construction ManagementProfessional Engineer 3
Appointment Type: Competitive
Negotiation Unit: Management/Confidential
Hourly Salary: $100,528 - $123,976
Travel Percentage: 20%
Location: Albany, Syracuse or Buffalo
Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a title eligible for transfer via Section 52.6 or 70.1 of the Civil Service Law OR be reachable for appointment on the Civil Service eligible list for Professional Engineer 3.
The NYS Canal Corporation (Canals) is seeking candidates for the position of Director of Construction Management to develop, administer and supervise all capital construction work for the NYS Canal Corporation performed by construction contractors and consultant firms. The 200-year-old NYS Canal System extends over 524 miles and plays important roles in New York’s economic development, tourism industry and environmental stewardship.
Under the direction of the Deputy Director of Engineering, Construction and Maintenance, the Director of Construction Management collaborates with the Canal Corporation’s Design Engineer, Division Engineers, professional staff of the New York Power Authority and others to administer a comprehensive statewide construction management program to:
- Ensure Corporation contractors are in compliance with all contractual requirements;
- Incorporate safety, customer focus, cost effectiveness, and proper risk management into the delivery of all Canal Projects
- Provide collaborative expertise and input including constructability reviews in developing the Canals’ Capital Program;
- Allocate and manage internal, consultant and contract resources to respond to emergencies;
- Partner with contractors to achieve cooperative relationships;
- Prepare and monitor annual budgets and oversee expenditures;
- Supervise and coordinate a staff of licensed professional engineers, other engineering professionals and paraprofessionals, and consultant engineers;
- Authorize payments to contractors and consultants;
- Set goals and timetables and priorities for multi-million-dollar programs; and,
- Evaluate progress toward project completion and modify work assignments to ensure timely completion.
To address the dynamic nature of the Canal System, typical projects include infrastructure repairs and replacements for structures including locks, movable dams, guard gates and weirs, dredging work, dam rehabilitations, earthen dam repairs, emergency response and repairs, and culvert repairs, as well as the construction and repair of the Erie Canalway Trail.
Interested candidates who meet the minimum qualifications should send a cover letter and resume by the application deadline of 11/09/2018 to email@example.com. Please include the position title , Professional Engineer 3 (Civil/Transportation) / Director of Construction Management in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.
The New York State Canal Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.
New York State Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, marital status, gender identity, prior arrests, prior conviction records, predisposing genetic characteristics or domestic violence victim status.
The New York State Canal Corporation provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please email Accessibility@nypa.gov.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from the candidate before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. i>