DEPUTY DIRECTOR, NS
Appointment Type: Exempt
Negotiation Unit: Management/Confidential
Hourly Salary: $130,995 - $168,839
Travel Percentage: 20%
Location: 30 South Pearl Street, Albany, NY
The Deputy Director position is in the exempt jurisdictional class. The preferred candidate must possess strong analytical and critical thinking skills; excellent written and oral communication skills; be mission-driven and a team player; have a sense of urgency and creativity in prioritizing and problem solving; and have the ability to leave and achieve results in a complex organization with varied stakeholders.
Candidates must possess a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Civil, Electrical, or Structural preferred) AND a New York State Engineering license and current registration AND the following:
- Demonstrated success leading a technical operations and maintenance organization. This includes sound experience in setting the strategic vision, driving rapid change and promoting excellence as well as efficiencies.
- Ten (10) years of progressively responsible professional engineering experience in the design, construction, maintenance or technical operations of structures related to waterways systems management.
- Ten (10) years of experience in a senior leadership and high-level management role, managing and providing oversight of large scale and diverse projects including development and budgeting project planning.
- The ideal candidate shall demonstrate the following competencies, skill and qualities:
- Broad knowledge of the waterway management industry with a focus on ongoing operations and maintenance of existing plants and structures;
- Experience with executive oversight of labor negotiations and managing in a unionized environment;
- Demonstrated excellence in environmental, health and safety programs and attainment of metrics.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced setting and leading the organization to achieve its mission;
- Ability to analyze and provide strategic direction and leadership in a decentralized environment;
- Prepare, administer and oversee a multi-million dollar capital and O&M budgets and the simultaneous execution of related projects.
- Preference will be given to candidates demonstrating this experience within a government entity, particularly in a shared services environment.
The NYS Canal Corporation is seeking candidates for the position of Deputy Director, The New York State Canal Corporation, a subsidiary of the New York Power Authority, is responsible for overseeing and maintaining the 524-mile waterway for boating, recreation, tourism and agriculture. The New York State Canal System, includes the Erie, Champlain, Oswego and Cayuga-Seneca canals, linking the Hudson River with the Great Lakes, the Finger Lakes and Lake Champlain.
The New York State Canal Corporation is seeking candidates for the position of Deputy Director to oversee the engineering & maintenance of the canal systems. The Deputy Director will oversee and direct the work of the technical infrastructure team which includes the operation, maintenance and safety expertise needed to safely operate and maintain the New York State Canal System including the essential services to support sound environmental, safety and planning programs. The oversight broadly includes leading and setting strategic direction for the environmental and safety compliance and its programs, all facets of engineering planning and design, construction, project management, maintenance of Canal structures, as well as emergency planning and response, dam safety, and water management for the state-wide canal system. The Deputy Director is responsible for strategic leadership and execution in programs, overseeing compliance, and departmental planning and budgets.
The incumbent of this position will serve in an executive leadership role and work directly with the Canal Corporation and New York Power Authority Executive team in the formulation of policy, technical excellence, regulatory compliance, and quality environmental and safety programs.
Interested candidates who meet the minimum qualifications should send a cover letter and resume by the application deadline of 12/30/2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title , Deputy Director, in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.
The New York State Canal Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.
New York State Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, marital status, gender identity, prior arrests, prior conviction records, predisposing genetic characteristics or domestic violence victim status.
The New York State Canal Corporation provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please email Accessibility@nypa.gov.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from the candidate before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com. i>