Professional Engineer 1 (CivilTransportation, SG-24
Appointment Type: Permanent
Negotiation Unit: Construction Bureau
Position: # 03459
Location: Albany Headquarters
The Professional Engineer 1 (Civil/Transportation) in Albany performs professional level civil engineering duties under the general direction of the Eastern Region Canal Engineer. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Provide engineering support to the Eastern Region Canal Engineer for the operation and maintenance of the Eastern Canals System, with primary focus on Waterford and Fort Edward Sections.
- Assist section staff to ensure that maintenance activities are properly carried out.
- Review and evaluate design and construction documents from project development through project completion.
- Perform professional engineering duties related to new construction, rehabilitation, or long-term maintenance projects
- Provide technical advice to engineers, legal staff, consultants, contract management, and budget representatives on the financial, structural, or construction requirements of projects.
- Respond to local municipalities and adjacent property owners' requests or complaints of an engineering nature. Assesses the situation, and then directs and coordinates with the Sections on repair or mitigation plans.
- Assist in coordinating and overseeing Section and floating plant maintenance work, including winter lock pump-out activities.
- Provide direction and technical assistance for maintenance work.
- Provide direction/ guidance to Section work crews on capital activities, to ensure that all safety and code requirements are followed.
- May provide direction and oversight to the dredging program. Ensures that spoil sites are being prepared properly, that all environmental and permit issues are being addressed, and that the dredging operation is being performed in accordance with environmental requirements.
- May oversee and coordinate the setting of buoys at the start of the navigation season, using GPS.
- Research and develop specifications for procurement efforts.
Support for Other Program Areas
- Assist with the development and issuance of Canal policies, procedures, guidelines, and standards for Canal operations and maintenance.
- Assist with the development of maintenance and capital plans in conjunction with Eastern Region engineering staff, in accordance with Canals Asset Management.
- Assist with the preparation of the annual capital and O&M budgets, including recommendation of capital construction or rehabilitation projects.
- Reviews work permit applications for the Region to assess compatibility of proposed work with Canal operations.
- Provide technical expertise to the Real Property Management Group (Leases, Permits, and Abandonments).
- Participate in waterway structural asset inspection as needed and assist in Quality Control of structural inspections including maintenance of any relevant databases.
- Participate in emergency planning and response activities, including working in the Canal regional operations center or the NYS Emergency Operations Center.
- Supervise subordinate technical, engineering, administrative, or support staff as required.
- Interact professionally with subordinates, section personnel, headquarter engineers, design staff, construction staff, consultants, representatives of local, State and Federal agencies and the general public.
- This position may require supervision of Regional Canal staff whose duties involve structure inspection, dredging and engineering related activities. Supervision duties include training, planning, scheduling, coordinating, determining project and program priorities, evaluating work projects, and providing instruction, advice and technical assistance.
- The position includes up to 50% fieldwork (and 50% office work), with occasional overnight travel for meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Candidates must be reachable for appointment on the Civil Service eligible list for Professional Engineer 1 (Civil/Transportation) or candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a title eligible for transfer under the provisions of Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
In accordance with Article XIII of the Agreement between the NYS Canal Corporation and the Public Employees Federation, any employee eligible for appointment who is interested in this position shall so indicate by signing this posting below. Candidates must also submit a resume and cover letter before the closing date to be considered for appointment to this position.
Interested candidates who meet the minimum qualifications should send a cover letter and resume by the application deadline of 9/28/2020 to email@example.com. Please include the position title, Professional Engineer 1 #03459(Civil/Transportation), in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.
The New York State Canal Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.
New York State Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, marital status, gender identity, prior arrests, prior conviction records, predisposing genetic characteristics or domestic violence victim status.
The New York State Canal Corporation provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please email Accessibility@nypa.gov.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from the candidate before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. i>