Director of Construction Management (CIVIL/TRANSPORTATION), SG-29
Appointment Type: Contingent Permanent
Negotiation Unit: Management/Confidential
Pay: $104,686 – $126,456
Travel Percentage: 20%
Location: 30 South Pearl Street, Albany, NY
Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a title eligible for transfer via Section 52.6 or 70.1 of the Civil Service Law OR be reachable for appointment on the Civil Service eligible list for Professional Engineer 3.
Candidates must possess a New York State Engineering license and current registration.
The NYS Canal Corporation (Canals) is seeking an experienced, mission-driven professional engineer to serve as the Director of the Canal Construction Bureau. As the Director of Construction Management, the individual will provide leadership to the team responsible for administering and supervising all capital construction work performed by construction contractors and consultant firms. This includes project management and establishing priorities to achieve the results of the Capital Program.
The 200-year-old NYS Canal System extends over 524 miles and plays important roles in New York’s economic development, tourism industry and environmental stewardship. Canals is currently delivering projects in support the of the Reimagine the Canals initiative. This sweeping plan is providing an unprecedented investment to enhance the Erie Canal and bring it into its next century of operation. The goal of the Reimagine program is to remake the Canal in ways that better serve Canal communities and the State’s economic and environmental interests in the 21st century including the completion of the Erie Canalway trail.
Under the direction of the Deputy Director of Engineering, Construction, and Maintenance, the Director of Construction Management collaborates with the Canal Corporation’s Design Engineer, Division Engineers, professional staff of the New York Power Authority and others to administer a comprehensive statewide construction management program. Given the dynamic nature of the Canal system and the public impact of many Canal projects across the state, this individual also serves as a member of Canal Senior Management and collaborates with management team members to communicate information to Canal Stakeholders and respond to any concerns.
The Director of Construction Management is responsible for: preparing and delivering the Canals’ multi-million-dollar Capital Program; management of internal and external resources; coordination of emergency response and repairs; working with other state and federal agencies; partnering with other Canal and NYPA program managers; and, ensuring contractors maintain compliance with contractual obligations including critical safety requirements.
To address the dynamic nature of the Canal System, typical projects include infrastructure repairs and replacements for structures including locks, movable dams, guard gates and weirs, dredging work, dam rehabilitations, earthen dam repairs, emergency response and repairs, and culvert repairs, as well as the construction and repair of the Erie Canalway Trail.
- Partnering and collaborating with Canals and NYPA management
- Overseeing activities of all contractors and construction management personnel including consultants
- Overseeing employee and consultant hiring and job assignments
- Oversight of employee performance and training
- Collaborating with the Design Bureau to develop quality contract documents and ensure constructability
- Developing various scopes of work for construction management and inspection activities
- Review of contract documents, bids received, extra work proposals, and proposals from consultants for professional services
- Developing annual program and project budgets
- Managing budgets and participation in monthly budget controls meetings
- Ensuring contractor compliance with all safety, environmental, and project requirements including applicable laws, rules,and regulations
- Overseeing all payments to contractors and consultants
- Resolving contractual disputes
- Coordinating and overseeing emergency response and repair by contractors and consultants
- Representing the Canal Corporation at a wide variety of meetings, seminars, and other public events
- Collaborating internally to communicate information to stakeholders and others
- Working with local, state, and federal agencies
- Partnering and developing professional relationships with AGC NYS and its’ contractors
Interested candidates who meet the minimum qualifications should send a cover letter and resume by the application deadline of 9/03/2020 to email@example.com. Please include the position title, Director of Construction Management, in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.
The New York State Canal Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.
New York State Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, marital status, gender identity, prior arrests, prior conviction records, predisposing genetic characteristics or domestic violence victim status.
The New York State Canal Corporation provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please email Accessibility@nypa.gov.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from the candidate before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. i>