Assistant Engineer (Civil/Transportation), SG-20
Appointment Type: Permanent
Negotiation Unit: Eastern Region/p>
Position: # 04397
Location: Albany Headquarters
The Assistant Engineer (Civil/Transportation) incumbent reports to a Canal Regional Professional Engineer 4 (Civil/Transportation) or their designee under the close supervision of the higher-level staff, and perform the following engineering and engineering related duties:
- Assumes primary responsibility for day-to-day water management activities in the Eastern Region, including monitoring water levels in the canal and at reservoirs under the Corporation’s jurisdiction.
- Monitors regional weather conditions and communicates timely adjustments of water management activities to canal section staff.
- Hydrology/hydraulics and field work related to water management for the NYS Canal system are necessary to assist in resolving unexpected field conditions.
- Working collaboratively with Asset Management, Inspection, Dam Safety, and Maintenance personnel to plan, design, implement, and oversee maintenance and construction work.
- Assessing and determining the required scope of work for various civil, electrical, mechanical, and environmental projects.
- Preparing reports, plans, and details to support various maintenance and construction projects.
- Detailed work planning that determines the labor, material, and equipment necessary for work crews to perform tasks and projects.
- Preparing specifications and other detailed requirements for work tasks.
- Assisting in procuring materials, equipment, and services.
- Participates in workflow management utilizing the Maximo System, including creation, editing, planning, scheduling and completing work orders; also responsible for coordinating with Division Planners/Schedulers and Division Engineers in work order management.
- Statewide collaboration with other Assistant Engineers and Canal Management.
- Performs a variety of additional engineering tasks as assigned.
- Regular overtime is required, including evenings and weekends.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Candidates must be reachable for appointment on the Civil Service eligible list for Engineer Trainee (Civil/Transportation) or Assistant Engineer (Civil/Transportation) OR candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a title eligible for transfer under the provisions of Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
In accordance with Article XIII of the Agreement between the NYS Canal Corporation and the Public Employees Federation, any employee eligible for appointment who is interested in this position shall so indicate by signing this posting below. Candidates must also submit a resume and cover letter before the closing date to be considered for appointment to this position.
Interested candidates who meet the minimum qualifications should send a cover letter and resume by the application deadline of 9/28/2020 to email@example.com. Please include the position title, Assistant Engineer #04397 (Civil/Transportation), in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.
The New York State Canal Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.
New York State Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, marital status, gender identity, prior arrests, prior conviction records, predisposing genetic characteristics or domestic violence victim status.
The New York State Canal Corporation provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please email Accessibility@nypa.gov.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from the candidate before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. i>