Assistant Engineer (Civil/Transportation), SG-20
Appointment Type: Permanent
Negotiation Unit: Design Bureau,
Position: # 02721
Location: Albany Headquarters
Date Posted: 9/17/2020
Closing Date: 10/2/2020
Under the direction of the Director of the Design Bureau, a Professional Engineer 2 (PE2), or Professional Engineer 1 (PE1), the incumbent will function as a Canal Design Project Manager (PM) and be responsible for limited planning, scoping, scheduling, field investigation, design calculations, detailing development, plan review, contract development, consultant management and construction support for a portfolio of infrastructure project types that exist as part of the canal system of locks, bridges (static and movable), water impounding embankments, reservoirs, buildings, roads, retaining walls, water control structures, breakwaters, guide structures, culverts, multiuse trails, and other civil infrastructure assets. Under the direct supervision of higher-level professional engineering staff, the incumbent will perform the following engineering and engineering related duties:
- Manage the scoping and design phases of multiple active capital infrastructure rehabilitation and/or replacement projects included within the approved Capital Program Budget, as well as multiple consultant design assignments related to these projects.
- Project planning including scheduling, cost control, environmental impact assessment and any effect on historic preservation.
- Ensure consultant design work is completed in compliance with the Canal Corporation’s policies and needs as well as the regulations of Federal or State agencies (e.g., USACE, NYSDEC, NYS SHPO, NYSDOT) that may apply to Canal projects.
- Review and approve all types of project investigative reports documenting existing conditions and proposed repair, rehabilitation & replacement solutions.
- Review proposed construction drawings, specifications and cost estimates prepared by design consultants.
- For each construction project to be let, prepare a bid package for advertisement; assist Canals/NYPA Procurement during the bidding phase, review bids, prepare bid analysis and award recommendation memos.
- Provide engineering support during construction of capital projects and assist in the resolution of issues related to project designs.
- Complete field work and site visits as necessary for project management duties and to support canal maintenance as needed.
- Provide engineering support to the operations and maintenance staff as needed for other canal projects.
- Prepare reports, memos, plans and details to support the various projects in the Capital Program Budget for submission to management.
- Develop and complete the execution of agreements and permits necessary for the progression of construction projects such as highway permits, access agreements, utility agreements, funding agreements and maintenance agreements, etc.
- Perform a variety of other general engineering related duties as assigned.
Candidates must be reachable for appointment on the Civil Service eligible list for Engineer Trainee (Civil/Transportation) or Assistant Engineer (Civil/Transportation) OR candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a title eligible for transfer under the provisions of Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
In accordance with Article XIII of the Agreement between the NYS Canal Corporation and the Public Employees Federation, any employee eligible for appointment who is interested in this position shall so indicate by signing this posting below. Candidates must also submit a resume and cover letter before the closing date to be considered for appointment to this position.
Interested candidates who meet the minimum qualifications should send a cover letter and resume by the application deadline of 10/02/2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title, Assistant Engineer #04397 (Civil/Transportation), in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.
The New York State Canal Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.
New York State Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, marital status, gender identity, prior arrests, prior conviction records, predisposing genetic characteristics or domestic violence victim status.
The New York State Canal Corporation provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please email Accessibility@nypa.gov.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from the candidate before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com. i>